Saturday, May 14, 2011

Facts Are Facts

I saddled my boy this morning thinking I would introduce him to ground driving dressed with a saddle and rope hackamore. That is, with him in the saddle and hackamore. It is always interesting how the facts get in the way of your plans. We were nowhere ready to start ground driving. First off he was very sensitive to the rope touching him on the flank. Not jiggy sensitive but when he felt the rope on his side he thought he should turn toward me. We played a bit with me putting the rope around his body and he would figure out that he could turn in the direction of the pressure and unwind himself from the rope. This horse is so soft, he gives to the slightest bit of pressure. He makes me get softer with him. I also stayed to the side and behind him just a little and walked with him from one side. I think this will go a long way to help him understand the ground driving exercises. We played a little more both on and off-line. The saddle was totally a non-issue. I like to put it on him so when we are ready to mount up it will still be a non-issue. Even though we didn't exactly get to ground driving, stopping and figuring out what would help my horse on that particular day was more important for both of us. If we would just listen..........

At the end of our session I climbed on the fence and Dakota came up close to stand near me. I thanked him for trying so hard and for just being him. We both stood there taking in the beautiful day (70 degrees in May in South Texas? Yeah, that's a gift) and enjoyed each others company. Ahhhhhh horses! Nothin' like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment